When things get out of control and you teeter on imbalance of emotions, there are any number of little things you can do to regain composure. Here are 10 ideas to help get you get started.
1. Wash your face and hand & brush your teeth. It cools and cleans the parts of your body that you use most frequently, which is relaxing, and gives you that “fresh start” feeling.
2. Give yourself a good shave (face or legs). This is another instant refresher. Especially if you have sensitive skin or the weather is dry. Plus, when we know we are looking our best, we naturally feel better.
3. Put on clean socks and some shoes that you haven’t worn in a while. Shoes take a day or two to release any moisture they have absorbed, and this is a very easy way to put a little pep back into your step.
4. Look at any trophy, diploma, or certificate of achievement that you have earned. And if it isn’t framed and on the wall, frame it now. These are reminders of your accomplishments, and taking in your success is important to maintaining your self-esteem.
5. Bust out your pull up bands and get a good sweat. If it has been a while since you last used your assisted pull up bands, power lifting bands, jumping bands, therapy bands or any other band for that matter… this would be an optimal time to shake off the dust and use them to oxygenate your blood cells.
6. Wash your car, inside and out. Hey, when our wheels are shiny, we feel better. If you don’t think this applies to you, just remember how you felt the last time you got a ride in someone’s very funky car. Race you to the car wash.
7. Cook a lovely meal. Even if you are by yourself, preparing a tasty dinner, setting the table, and treating yourself to a wonderful culinary experience will lift your spirits. Sharing it with someone you love and/or respect will make it even more nurturing.
8. Look around you, remember that you started with nothing, and know that everything you see, you created. We can all lose our feelings of self-worth, especially when something goes wrong in our world. The truth is that if you have done it before, you can do it again-no matter what.
None of these tasks has to be uncomfortable or take you much time. Finding ways to give yourself a little boost when you’re not feeling like you’re at the top of your game is a trick that truly happy people use on a regular basis.